School Library Media Certification By State (2014)
Colorado Department of Education
201 East Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Colorado Department of Education Educator Licensing Unit:
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Library Media Content Test Needed: Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE). All candidates must have a passing score of 220; for additional information go to the PLACE website (http://www.place.nesinc.com).
Other Testing Needed: Yes, Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE). All candidates must have a passing score of 220; for additional information go to the PLACE website (http://www.place.nesinc.com).
Description: Colorado offers two types of endorsements: a teacher librarian and a school librarian, both of which require a teaching license.
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
Criteria for eligibility include completion of one of the following requirements:
- Teacher librarian— an applicant shall hold a bachelor"s degree from an accredited institution of higher education; a master"s degree in library science; hold a provisional or professional teaching license; have completed a minimum of one year of teaching experience in the classroom; complete district"s induction program (if required); and pass the PLACE School Library content area test. This endorsement cannot be issued as a standalone endorsement. It can only be added to an existing valid license.
- School librarian— seeking to add a second or subsequent endorsement area to their valid Colorado Teacher or Special Services Provider Licenses may do so by obtaining a bachelor"s degree from an accepted, regionally accredited college or university; holding a provisional or professional teaching license and may or may not have a classroom teaching experience or through an Alternative Teacher Preparation Program (ATPP) or Teacher in Residence (TIR) program; successfully complete 24 or more hours in graduate level library science program or 30 more hours in graduate level library science program for ATPP and TIR or pass the PLACE School Library content area test.
Reciprocity: Yes, The Colorado Department of Education has reciprocity with all states as long as the following requirements are met:
- Completion of an approved program from an out-of-state regionally accredited college, which includes student teaching, or completion of an approved practicum and having met the qualifications for a standard license in your preparing state.
- Completion of an out-of-state alternative teacher preparation and qualification for a standard license in your preparing state.
- Holds the appropriate degree and has met the experience and education level required by Colorado for the endorsement being sought.
- Has three years of out-of-state experience in a second endorsement area and holds a valid license in that endorsement area, which will qualify for an additional endorsement on the initial license.