School Library Media Certification By State (2013)
Colorado Department of Education
201 East Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
Colorado Department of Education Educator Licensing Unit:
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Library Media Content Test Needed: Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE). All candidates must have a passing score of 220; for additional information go to the PLACE website (http://www.place.nesinc.com).
Other Testing Needed: Yes, Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE). All candidates must have a passing score of 220; for additional information go to the PLACE website (http://www.place.nesinc.com).
Description: Colorado offers two types of endorsements: a teacher librarian and a school librarian, both of which require a teaching license.
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
Criteria for eligibility include completion of one of the following requirements:
- Teacher librarian— an applicant shall hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education; a master's degree in library science; hold a provisional or professional teaching license and have completed a minimum of one-year of teaching experience in the classroom. This endorsement cannot be issued as a standalone endorsement. It can only be added to an existing valid license.
- School librarian— seeking to add a second or subsequent endorsement area to their valid Colorado Teacher or Special Services Provider Licenses may do so by completing a state-approved program at an accepted, regionally accredited college or university and passing the associated content exam; by completing at least 24 hours of relevant college coursework (as determined by transcript review); or by passing the appropriate Colorado State Board of Education-approved content exam.
Reciprocity: Yes, The Colorado Department of Education has reciprocity with all states as long as the following requirements are met:
- Completion of an approved program from an out-of-state regionally accredited college, which includes student teaching, or completion of an approved practicum and having met the qualifications for a standard license in your preparing state.
- Completion of an out-of-state alternative teacher preparation and qualification for a standard license in your preparing state.
- Holds the appropriate degree and has met the experience and education level required by Colorado for the endorsement being sought.
- Has three years of out-of-state experience in a second endorsement area and holds a valid license in that endorsement area, which will qualify for an additional endorsement on the initial license.